December 01, 2013

OBS


OBS has been something I wanted to experience since sec 3 and now I can finally tick it off the list.
I wouldn't say the whole 5 days were challenging, but just the sailing expedition itself.
We were quite lucky to get to experience the sailing course because most people only get to kayak/raft.
It was slightly disappointing that we were settled into two groups among our schoolmates because I was initially hoping we could mix with other JC students.
Also, there are girls either in the same cca or same class, so they tend to stick to one another and seldom move out of their comfort zone.
Nevertheless, still got to make friends with everyone and take a bus to JP after camp to eat dinner with half of them only to decide to go home and not join them because I don't know why. 
Although I previously heard from friends that we wouldn't have time to shower and the place wouldn't be too pleasant, luck gave us the opportunity to settle at the newer OBS campsite and we had proper showers and (decent) bunk beds (with a few spider webs) for two nights.
For the other two nights, we had to do powder bath with everyone's favorite prickly heat powder. 
But it was fine because we could gaze at the pretty night sky filled with so many stars including the Orion belt. 
Spending the third night on boat was one of the worse because we barely slept. 16 of us had to sleep sitting down with our backs upright. But that wasn't that bad. The shelter we created was flawed and rain and wind could come in so every 10 minutes or so we were woken up by the rain dripping onto our feet and had to readjust the shelter mat.
There were too many technical things to learn regarding sailing.
The paddling part was the most tiring.
We were lucky enough to experience the storm, in which our boat almost capsize because of the strong wind.
Also, paddling in the heavy rain isn't easy with the heavy rain drops hitting your face and hindering your sight.
Surely, the 5 days passed by really quick.
Something I promised was to not wait for things to happen in future, so we'll see how that goes. 






Awarded with bruises and tan lines all over but it's ok, I like the outstanding neon shirt. 

No comments: