April 15, 2015

I'm after all an escapist.

The past 2 months have been shitty, so shitty that I continue to stay lost and confused about my future and life. 

Because I live as an escapist, I avoid thinking about it by occupying myself with other matters. Such as work.

I enjoy work because it's where I can escape. It's a long period of time I make use of to keep my mind off things bothering me this whole time. 

Work has thus far been an eye-opener so far. I work for a non-profit organisation which has more than a thousand members under it, so I learn about various companies that exist. I realise that there actually is a hell lot of SMEs existing in Singapore. 

I learn about work politics, people's style of work and how their differences could affect their relationship and cooperation. I get to call people almost every day. While most people are nice on the phone, there are those few anal ones who want you to just get straight to the point. I have to be polite and introduce myself and what I'm going to talk about before I can get to the point so.... This is all so contradicting. 

There are 2 types of scenarios in a company. All colleagues versus the boss, or colleagues backstabbing one another. I'm thankful mine is the first case scenario. I'm glad my colleagues are able to speak foul of my boss during lunch instead of going to work in fear that they might land in trouble any time for any false statement by another colleague.

Because this is my first time taking up administrative duties in a company, I find myself being slightly careless in some things I do. Eg. Forgetting to cc an important email to my director, confusing others with 2 names (because I use Suzy and my real name)... 

Basically I'm still new to a lot of the whole work thingamajig so I have learnt quite a lot. But right now I'm busy with an upcoming event in July so I don't have time for my primary job, which is bad because I'm considering quitting when my contract ends in less than a month but now I feel obliged to extend my contract because I'm not done with my primary job and my colleagues are giving me other assignments. 

What sucks the most is that I have to travel one hour there and another hour back home. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, it's always a mad rush whereby I only have 30min to shower and eat and prepare to leave house to go tutor my tutee. Tiring is one thing, but I hate having to rush my food.

Other than that, my pay is a little too meagre considering that I have to travel so far out. The best part is that my company is 2 bus stops away from the mrt, not directly beside or anything. Having to face the crowd in the morning and evening is just annoying. I may just become claustrophic in time.

After ranting so much, I have to say that for now I prefer working to studying. I feel like I'm using my brain more and am more efficient and learn much more things that can be applied. Having said that, I cannot imagine having to slog for the rest of my life after university. Reality bites. 

Wow that was such a boring bit. But I'd rather be thinking this than other matters that would bother me more. 

No comments: